Re: MTA help

On Monday 10 November 2003 23:07, Eric Walstad wrote:
> Greetings kind debianites,
>
> I'm in the process of learning MTA admin.  My head is about to explode.
>
> I'm wanting to setup a Debian box that'll suck down pop email from an
> ISP for a few local users and then serve those email up via pop3 or
> imap on the LAN.  Following some advice I received on this list, I
> installed fetchmail, courier-imap, courier-pop and exim4.  I then found
> that exim4 and courier like different mailbox formats.

These work well together - I have done it.  Exim4 DOES have the ability to
deliver to to Maildirs - thats what I do.

I can't tell you how to edit the complicated new way of dealing with the
configuration - I gave up an made one big config file.  However this is the
transport that delivers to the maildir from my config

local_delivery:
  driver = appendfile
  directory = /home/${lc:$local_part}/Maildir
  envelope_to_add
  group = mail
  maildir_format
  message_prefix = ""
  mode = 0660
  no_mode_fail_narrower
  return_path_add

Note it also appears that fetchmail is delivering the e-mail as though it to
local host.  You can make it appear to go to a more reasonable address using
smtp address (but be careful you need to tell exim4 that it is a local
domain).  Here is my /etc/fetchmailrc file (passwords removed - note also
that normal mail for me comes directly and not via that route, so the timings
(1 hour and 4 hours) are very slow compared to normal)

#       $Id: fetchmailrc,v 1.1 2002/11/11 19:16:22 alan Exp $
#       Created by AKC 14th July 2000
set daemon 3600
set syslog
#
poll mail.tesco.net no dns proto POP3 tracepolls
        aka tesco.net
 user "alan.chandler" password "x" forcecr is alan smtpaddress
chandlerfamily.org.uk
 user "Sarah.Chandler" password "x" forcecr is sarah fetchall smtpaddress
chandlerfamily.org.uk
#
poll pop3.blueyonder.co.uk no dns proto POP3 tracepolls interval 4
        aka blueyonder.co.uk
        localdomains chandlerfamily.org.uk libdebate.org
 user "ac003a3222" password "" forcecr is * fetchall smtpaddress
chandlerfamily.org.uk
 user "ac003a3222_2" password "x" forcecr is sarah fetchall smtpaddress
chandlerfamily.org.uk
 user "ac003a3222_5" password "x" forcecr is alan fetchall smtpaddress
chandlerfamily.org.uk

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk