Re: kernel-2.6.0-test9 & USB 2.0 Question

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 01:48:50AM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> I purchased aSony USB DVD+R+RW and succesfully played a dvd movie but in
> spurts using an old system with only usb 1.0.
>
> Next I upgraded the system with an Albatron KX400-8XV motherboard and an
> Athlon XP 2000+ cpu.  Same result.  My 2.4.22 kernel doesn't support USB
> 2.0.
>
> Downloaded kernel-source-2.6.0-test9 and built a new kernel with ehci
> support and uhci and ohci as modules.  The system boots up ok but
> streams messages to the first console that my usb devices (Epson printer
> and Sony DVD+R+RW) are not responding.  If I disconnect them the stream
> of messages stops and less /proc/bus/usb/devices reports the ehci
> controller.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1.  Is the problem with the kernel-2.6.0-test9 and I should wait for the
> next patch
>    or
>    have I missed something which must be included in the new kernel
>    or
>    is the USB 2.0 support in the Albatron motherboard non-standard and
> not supported?
>
> 2. I have been in the habit of unpacking each new kernel-source in
> /usr/src and then moving it to /usr/src/linux after moving the previous
> kernel-source to /usr/src/linux-2.4.XX.  I know the README file has
> always advised against this but at one time I read that this advice was
> outdated and /usr/src/linux is the preferred location.  The README in
> the kernel-source-2.6.0-test9 warns that using /usr/src/linux will
> overwrite some needed headers.  What is the best practice?
>
> Tom George

Additional Problems with kernel-2.6.0-test9

	Although I built the kernel with support for modules and ran
	make modules and make modules_install the command lsmod reports
	AP_MODULES are not installed.

	Also there are serial ports, that is, no ttyS0 and ttyS1

Tom