kernel-2.6.0-test9 & USB 2.0 Question

I purchased aSony USB DVD+R+RW and succesfully played a dvd movie but in spurts using an old system with only usb 1.0.

Next I upgraded the system with an Albatron KX400-8XV motherboard and an Athlon XP 2000+ cpu. Same result. My 2.4.22 kernel doesn't support USB 2.0.

Downloaded kernel-source-2.6.0-test9 and built a new kernel with ehci support and uhci and ohci as modules. The system boots up ok but streams messages to the first console that my usb devices (Epson printer and Sony DVD+R+RW) are not responding. If I disconnect them the stream of messages stops and less /proc/bus/usb/devices reports the ehci controller.

Questions:

1. Is the problem with the kernel-2.6.0-test9 and I should wait for the next patch
   or
   have I missed something which must be included in the new kernel
   or
is the USB 2.0 support in the Albatron motherboard non-standard and not supported?

2. I have been in the habit of unpacking each new kernel-source in /usr/src and then moving it to /usr/src/linux after moving the previous kernel-source to /usr/src/linux-2.4.XX. I know the README file has always advised against this but at one time I read that this advice was outdated and /usr/src/linux is the preferred location. The README in the kernel-source-2.6.0-test9 warns that using /usr/src/linux will overwrite some needed headers. What is the best practice?

Tom George