Re: Using dselect and apt - urgent

"Mike Simpson" <mikesimpson@aidu.mod.uk> writes:

> 1.  (*) text/plain          ( ) text/html

(Please set your mailer to post in plain text only, and wrap lines at
72 characters.  And don't include the word "urgent" in your subject
line; everyone's question is "urgent" in some form or another.)

> We have our website (aidu.mod.uk) now on our own webserver for the
> past 8 months.  I use dselect to get updates for our system, however
> in all the months we have not had an update.

What APT sources are you using?  Do you have the security.debian.org
line in it?  (See http://www.debian.org/security/.)  Otherwise, you'll
only get updates when a new point release of Debian stable is
released, which is fairly infrequent.

> I downloaded from the debian site info on dselect and noticed the
> bit on proxy servers, thinking that this is preventing the update
> from working I entered the following command to set the environment
> variables.

Is your site actually using a proxy server?  If dselect was working
before (you could update and see a list of packages without getting
errors) then you're probably not, and you don't need to set this.  If
you are, you should be able to get that information from your network
administrator.

> I now think I have made a mistake by setting this variable and
> probable need to reset it.
>
> Q1 what do I reset it to and how?

'unset http_proxy' should do it, as would logging out and logging in
again.

> I use the default address to get the updates from
> http://http.us.debian/org/debian stable main contrib non-free

Are you actually in the US?  Your email address suggests not; you
might get better performance by using a nearer mirror, like

  deb http://www.uk.debian.org/debian stable main

	-- Abra Mitchell