Using dselect and apt - urgent

Hi, sorry to bother you with probably a very stupid question, but here goes.
We have our website (aidu.mod.uk) now on our own webserver for the past 8 months.
I use dselect to get updates for our system, however in all the months we have not had an update.
I downloaded from the debian site info on dselect and noticed the bit on proxy servers, thinking that this is preventing the update from working I entered the following command to set the environment variables.
# export http_proxy=http://gateway:3128/         I replaced gateway with aws which is the name of our web server.
# dselect                                                       To start the update process

When it got to the [U] stage it tried to connect to the aws ip address and could not connect then timed out.

I now think I have made a mistake by setting this variable and probable need to reset it.

Q1 what do I reset it to and how?
Q2 why are the update not working? I am sure that in the past 8 months there have been updates

we do use squid as our proxy server

I use the default address to get the updates from
http://http.us.debian/org/debian stable main contrib non-free

system info from setup floppies that came with the system initially
debian, linux 2.4.18
debian 3.0 (woody) (bf 2.4)

Sorry to sound like such amateurs, but our training was minimal, just enough to get by.

Many thanks
Mike Simpson