Re: "Red Hat recommends Windows for consumers"

On Sunday 09 November 2003 03:48, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> See:
>
>     http://twiki.iwethey.org/Main/FreeSoftwarePrimer
>
> Both standards *and* free software matter.

Nice link - thanks.  I've been looking for something like this but I didn't
know how to ask for it. I've read some things on the list and can't wait to
read through the others.

I hope to be enlightened concerning open software economics.  For example,
borrowing a topic from a thread that was forked from this thread - gaming.

The conclusions I draw with my current understanding of economics and
technology are that native-Linux gaming will not thrive until there is a
standard Linux gaming system configuration and if that happens, some good
games will be closed-source-not-free-as-in-beer.  The OSS community values
diversity and adapts to it.  Commercial concerns are learning how to do this
and hopefully they will not wreck the community of individuals as they
stumble around.  I doubt that the set of useful closed source software will
empty for quite a while.  I believe that closed source software native to an
OSS environment is economically necessary and it increases the value of the
OSS environment despite its potential and hidden evils.

BTW, more on-topic, IBM, in a not too surprising turn of events, says Linux
on the desktop makes sense in lots of situations.  IBM undertands that most
people only read or listen to headlines.  RH, hopefully now understands this
important fact of PR.
http://news.com.com/2100-7344_3-5104650.html?tag=nefd_top
--
Mike Mueller