Re: X-server errors

Hello Richard!

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 01:12:12PM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
Over the years, using various RH and SuSE versions, and again recently under Debian, I've noticed the list of errors generated by the X-server. Usually, the screen is full of them when dropping back to command line. I've come to accept them as normal. But are they? Should I care? It would be nice to have things run error free, even if only from an A-R sense of neatness. As an example, I'm going to laboiously copy the current errors from my desktop machine: -------------------start quoted text--------
XFree86 Version 4.3.0 (Debian 4.3.0-0ds4 20030416150820 dstone@aedificator)
Release Date: 18 March 2003
X Protocol version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.21-pre5 i686 [ELF]
Build date: 16 April 2003
    Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
[...]
(EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse"

You can just remove or comment the "Generic Mouse" entry in your
XF86Config-4, I guess you have another entry and your mouse is
actually working.

[...]
Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!

You don't have xfs running / installed, so you can just remove or
comment this entry from your fontpath.
xfs isn't strictly necessary as X is able to serve locally installed
fonts for itself.

Is this all typical and of no consequence or is some or all of it solveable by correct editing of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (or better by using a setup tool somewhere)?

Don't know about the rest, sorry.

When editing XF86Config-4 make sure your changes are kept over
upgrades, see its header about this.

HTH,
Flo