Re: Fickle sound

Bijan Soleymani wrote:
On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 11:33:00PM -0500, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:

My sound system is being really fickle for some reason. It'll work fine, then all of a sudden simply stop playing sound. This happens during games (UT) and with other apps (IM sounds).

I've heard that sound servers like esd are supposed to help with sound issues, but I haven't quite figured out how to use them. UT and other things try direct access to /dev/dsp, which doesn't work with esd, I guess.

Any advice?

I recommend you get a better sound card. I know this might not be what
you want to hear, but a crappy sound card will give you nothing but
headaches. I'm very happy with my sblive oem. The price was quite
reasonable and I can play any number of sound at the same time without
problems. Just check around for decent pci sound cards that are well
supported under linux. You should be able to find tons of decent cards
for $15-$40.

If you are talking about a laptop then you might have to live with what
you have.

I do indeed have a laptop. Thing is, I've had no problems under Windows. And using XMMS/ESD plugin works great.

--
Joel Konkle-Parker
Webmaster [Ballsome.com]

Phone     [+1 662-518-1636]