Re: Single-use root account?

On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 12:28:40PM -0600, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 23:00, Pigeon wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 12:27:21PM -0600, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> > > In regards to the roommates at least, they both use Debian and know
> > > enough about it to do some basic functions from a terminal. As such, I
> > > could tell them what to do over the phone without having to hold their
> > > hands through the whole procedure. The reason I'm so concerned about the
> > > one-time-use password is not to defend against any maliciousness on
> > > their part, but rather to defend against stupidity on their part. (Or to
> > > cover up my stupidity by having them fix something I broke before I get
> > > home. :)
> >
> > What happens if they get a keybounce while typing ^D ?
>
> "keybounce"? You mean if they hit ^D with an empty command line?

As in:

(On a crappy keyboard)
$ cat > somefile
some gubbins
some more gubbins
^D (but the key bounces, so you actually get ^D^D)

logout

debian login:

...or (Overconfident blind use of an xterm partially concealed by
browser window, using sloppy focus)

$ cst > somefile
bash: cst: command not found
(middle click to paste a URL) <return>