Re: Single-use root account?

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 02:58:48AM -0600, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> I've decided that it's about time I look for a solution to a problem
> that's been bugging me. On certain occasions, I find it necessary to
> have one of my roommates do something to the network at home when I'm
> not there. As such, they generally will need root access to do it. While
> I certainly trust them, I'm very security conscious and wouldn't feel
> comfortable giving them my root password.

Why not?  They already have physical access to the machine, what more
would you give up to them by telling them the root password?  For a home
computer, I don't see much reason not to just stick the root password on
a post-it note on the monitor.... You already trust anyone that's in a
position to see it.

--Bruce Fields