Re: fast swithichg between X and virtual console - how to?

On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 06:20:50PM +0100, Miernik wrote:
> Switching between X and virtual console is very slow, (with
> Ctrl-Alt-F1, etc).
>
> Is it possible to have it swich as fast as is switching between
> virtual consoles?
>
> If I set exactly the same video mode on my text console and X (I mean
> resolution, timings, etc to be the same, one text and the other
> graphics mode of course) will it switch fast? It won't have to change
> video modes.

Depends what's being slow. It may be that your monitor blanks for a
while during a mode change to avoid stressing the scanning circuits -
most do something like this. If you set your text and X modes to use
*exactly* the same timings you will probably avoid this, though there
will probably be a glitch in the train of sync pulses which might
cause it to blank for a while anyway. If it's that your graphics card
is taking time to regenerate the X display, it's a case of get a
faster card sort of thing.

> Or maybe if I install a framebuffer and run both text and X console
> through a framebuffer it will be fast?

Only if your graphics card has enormous overhead switching between
text and graphic modes, which is unlikely to be the case.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons