Re: Some newbie questions

on Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 10:01:34AM -0500, Bijan Soleymani (bijan@psq.com) wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 10:31:05PM +1300, cr wrote:

> > > People with dial-up may appreciate the other CDs. I currently don't have
> > > an internet connection at home, so I especially need them.
> > >
> > > Bijan
> >
> > I'm on dial-up, and I have just the first two (Woody)  CD's, and I've only
> > ever found *one* app I wanted that wasn't on one of those two - Kppp.   (I
> > downloaded that separately).
> >
> > In other words, CD's 1 and 2 probably contain almost everything an average
> > user (certainly a newbie user) is likely to want.
>
> I install a lot of software :) When installing a system I always use
> all 7 cds.  It's not that I install insane amount of software as much
> as the fact that I install many different kinds of software.

There's one useful application of ISOs I've found.

I do my installs typically with a minimal base image, the pull packages
over 56k dialup.

With a full set of ISOs, I can populate apt-proxy fully instead.

My current configuration is seven systems running behind a 56k dialup
line, with a local apt-proxy cache.  New installs can now hit the proxy,
essentially giving me local network speeds on an installation.  And
nightly downloads only happen once per package being updated, regardless
the number of clients being updated.

Peace.

    They were both poisoned. I spent the last few years building up an
    immunity to iocane powder.
    - Princess Bride