Re: Testing URIs not working

Haines Brown(brownh@hartford-hwp.com) is reported to have said:

> > From: Wayne Topa <brittman@capital.net>
> >
> > Have you read any of the below?
> >
> > /usr/share/doc/newbiedoc/newbiedoc-html/apt-get-intro/index-apt-get-intro.html
> > /usr/share/doc/newbiedoc/newbiedoc-html/apt-get-intro/apt-and-install.html
> > /usr/share/doc/newbiedoc/newbiedoc-html/apt-get-intro/info.html
> > /usr/share/doc/newbiedoc/newbiedoc-html/apt-get-intro/intro.html
> > /usr/share/doc/newbiedoc/newbiedoc-html/apt-get-intro/more.html
> > /usr/share/doc/newbiedoc/newbiedoc-html/apt-get-intro/index.html
> > /usr/share/doc/newbiedoc/newbiedoc-ps/apt-get-intro.ps
> > /usr/share/doc/Debian/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html
>
> Not on my system. Sniffing with google, I found a source, but I would
> have to join the newbieDoc group, and this would mean registering with
> Yahoo. They would not be part of a package, would they?
>
> Thanks, though, for the suggestion

[teach to fish mode]

apt-cache search newbiedoc
newbiedoc

apt-cache show newbiedoc
____[ snip here ]____
 This is a snapshot of the documentation currently being developed
 by The Newbiedoc Project. See http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net for
 the most recent version, or if you want to join the team.
 .
 Current release includes:
  - Introduction to 'apt-get'
  - DocBook guides and documentation for writing doc for Newbiedoc
  - Using 'grep'
  - Installing and configuring hardware
  - Finding help on a Debian system
  - Text editors: JOE and vi
  - Compiling kernels the Debian way
  - Managing processes
  - Using runlevels
  - Configuring exim
 .
 The documentation will be installed in /usr/share/doc/newbiedoc,
 and newbiedoc(1) is a script that starts a browser on the
 newbiedoc collection.
____[ end snip ]____

dpkg -S newbiedoc
newbiedoc:
/usr/share/doc/newbiedoc/newbiedoc-html/apt-get-intro/intro.html

Other packages to download for self help:
apt-howto - A Guide to APT
doc-linux-nonfree-html - Linux HOWTOs in HTML format (non-free)
or
doc-linux-nonfree-text - Linux HOWTOs in ASCII format (non-free)

[teach mode off]

Those should prove a big help in your transition.

Wayne

--
Real Users find the one combination of bizarre input values that shuts
down the system for days.