Re: Yahoo says I'm a Spam-o-Rama (via DynDNS)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Benedict Verheyen" <linux4bene@pandora.be>
To: "Debian-User" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2003 7:54 AM
Subject: Re: Yahoo says I'm a Spam-o-Rama (via DynDNS)

> > Okay, I'm happily e-mailing away to friends and family, and lo and
behold
> > (fancy talk for "wha wha whaat????") - I find out that Yahoo pops me
into
> > the Spam block list. I know this was talked about recently (wasn't
it?) -
> > and had something to do with dynamic DNS users.
>
> Yeah, i think it was a question from me where Ron and Scru Loose replied
> on.
>
> > Questions are: if I go for a registered domain name and still keep
Dynamic
> > service (I'm behind a DSL router and do not have a static IP) will I
still
> > be in spam jail? Do I have to go for a static IP and a registered domain
> > name? That sounds kind of expensive!
>
> According to what people replied to my question, getting a registered
> domain and a fixed ip won't help as they (Yahoo, Microsoft) compare
> the ip't to lists they have. You will not end up on that white list with
> 1 ip according to Scru Loose (if i understood correctly).
> But i'm in doubt: if the ipaddresses my ISP has are in the white list, and
> i end up purchasingh 1 of those addresses, i would automatically be on teh
> white list no?
>
> > Right now I figure I'll send out through my ISP POP mail when mailing
> > important stuff I don't want in Spam lists. I'd rather just SMTP out my
> > server, though (like this e-mail).
>
> Yeah, that's what i was going to do too. It the to domain is yahoo or
> hotmail or another-blocking-destination, send the email to my isp's
> otherwise send, directly.
> I haven't figured out yet how to do this.
>
> Regards,
> Benedict
>

> --
listmaster@lists.debian.org

Thanks, that sounds good (or reasonable). Since I'm e-mailing from clients
off the server and using a combination of OE (I know, I know, ...) and
Evolution - I'll just make multiple identities.

>From OE I have 2 IMAP accounts on my tiny server. One for regular stuff, one
for mailing lists. I have OE set to synchronize send/receive with my server.
I also have an account with my ISP. I am using fetchmail to pull the stuff
down to my server and view it with OE with an IMAP client. I guess I could
just use POP in OE to get it directly - but then when I switch laptops, or
boot into RH9.0, or jump onto my SuSE desktop - I'll lose that e-mail (I pop
then delete).

So for that situation I fetchmail it to the server and use IMAP clients to
view it on whatever PC I'm on. If I read/delete - it's gone. If I read and
don't delete - my understanding is that it stays in my folder on the
server - so I can then reread it when I jump onto a different machine. (hope
I got that right - time to test!).

Finally, I have an account at my ISP set up in OE. Under Account /
Properties I left it unclicked on "Include theis account when
sending/receving or synching". So fetchmail will still grab mail from that
server. BUT - when composing a message, I can click on "From:" and use my
ISP account.

Hoping it works. Kinda cludgy, though.