Re: Yahoo says I'm a Spam-o-Rama (via DynDNS)

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 07:04:31AM -0500, BruceG wrote:
> Okay, I'm happily e-mailing away to friends and family, and lo and behold
> (fancy talk for "wha wha whaat????") - I find out that Yahoo pops me into
> the Spam block list. I know this was talked about recently (wasn't it?) -
> and had something to do with dynamic DNS users.
>
> Questions are: if I go for a registered domain name and still keep Dynamic
> service (I'm behind a DSL router and do not have a static IP) will I still
> be in spam jail? Do I have to go for a static IP and a registered domain
> name? That sounds kind of expensive!
>
> Right now I figure I'll send out through my ISP POP mail when mailing
> important stuff I don't want in Spam lists. I'd rather just SMTP out my
> server, though (like this e-mail).

You should always send outgoing mail through your ISP's smarthost, or
some other similar machine. There are good reasons for this besides
avoiding dial-up spam lists; your ISP's smarthost is more reliably
connected than you are, and can therefore handle SMTP retries more
properly.

There is no need for a static IP to do this properly, and dynamic DNS is
irrelevant. The issue is that you're trying to send mail directly from a
dynamic *IP address*. People on dynamic IP addresses should always relay
mail through some other machine, such as their ISP's mail server. This
takes about a minute to configure and after that you won't notice it.

Cheers,