Sendmail, virtual users and several hosts

Have a problem on my debian box that I didn't have when running RedHat
(mind you - that was some time ago and we're several versions of
sendmail forward).

This is running on woody with all security updates and proposed
updates applied.

The machine has one IP address. This is used for 5 hostnames all of
which are listed in /etc/hosts and in both /etc/mail/local-host-names
and /etc/mail/relay-domains.

I have also a substantial virtualusertable with lots of entries for
host1.

So - the virtusertable looks like

user1@host1.tld   user1.real.email@another.host
user2@host1.tld   user2.real.email@another.host
user3@host1.tld   user3.real.email@another.host
user4@host1.tld   user4.real.email@another.host
user5@host1.tld   user5.real.email@another.host
@host1.tld        local.user
@host2.tld        local.user2
@host3.tld        local.user3

host1 is the hostname that matches the first name in /etc/hosts (and
is the main hostname for the box - configured as reverse dns etc).

The problem - any mail recieved from local.user2 and local.user3 (via
SMTP) is getting sent outas coming from host1.tld instead of host2 or
host3. In other words the from line is getting re-written.

Also - incoming mail is getting re-written so that when they receive
it (via POP3). In other words the to line is getting re-written.

There must be something that I can change in sendmail.mc but I'm no
sendmail guru and I've not been able to figure this one out.

On the RH box (before I put debian on in) - this re-writing did not
occur.

Regards

--
Chris Searle