Re: how to make unicode mode default for all virtual consoles?

on Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 12:58:34PM +0100, Miernik (miernik@ctnet.pl) wrote:
> Currently Unicode mode come's up as default on the first console, but
> for consoles 2 to 6 I need to run unicode_start on every console. What
> is the proper Debian way to have unicode mode on all vc's by default?
>
> Second thing: I have created a polish unicode keymak myslef in
> /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/pl-uni.kmap.gz
> and set it as a default keymap with install-keymap pl-uni.
> But the system doesn't like it as a bootup default. It says
>
> Mon Nov  3 19:42:45 2003: Loading /etc/console/boottime.kmap.gz
> Mon Nov  3 19:42:45 2003: loadkeys: warning: this map uses Unicode symbols
> Mon Nov  3 19:42:45 2003:     (perhaps you want to do `kbd_mode -u'?)
>
> And I still need to run 'loadkeys pl-uni' on every console after
> bootup to make it work. Then my unicode keyboard works OK.
> How to make it automatic?

Check /etc/init.d/*console* scripts.  Those *should* set up loadkeys on
all consoles if I'm RTFMing properly.

You likely need to add the '-u' flag.

    man loadkeys

...for more info.

Peace.

  The [Wall Street] Journal's editorial page made the mistake of relying
  on the accuracy and completeness of The Journal's reporting.
  - Warren E. Buffett, letter to the Wall Street Journal, October 7, 2003