Re: [OT] SCO's crack legal team

Greg Norris wrote:
On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 09:35:53AM +0800, csj wrote:

Speaking of IP hassles, maybe you should have exported that into
the free png format.

The original version was png, actually... I converted it to gif because
more browsers handle that format, and it has a significantly smaller
file size in this instance.  The site it's hosted on has a minimal
bandwidth allocation, so size was not an insignificant concern.  In
addition, the gif patent has expired in the USA (and is very close to
doing so elsewhere), and simply isn't an issue which troubles me all
that much.

If anyone requests the png version, I'd be happy to email it.  People
are welcome to share either version (email, posting on the web,
whatever).

Just out of curiousity, did you originally save it as a 24-bit or
8-bit PNG?  IIRC, GIFs are always 8-bit and 8-bit PNGs are comparable
in size.  I can understand how a 24-bit PNG would be bigger, but I can't
see how an 8-bit would be that much different in size.

-Roberto