Re: GUI login screen.

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 04:22:55PM -0600, Hoyt Bailey said
> Select terminal
> Issue comand: sudo shutdown -r now
> Password: root password

Yes, you need to use your user password.  "su" will let you switch to
root with root's password.

> Failed
> Password: My password
> Failed with message that I would be reported to me.

Did you add the line to /etc/sudoers that I sent in an earlier mail?  It
won't work until you do.  Here it is again if you missed it:

rob     ALL=(ALL) ALL

Change rob to your username, of course...

> Punched logout button on gnome start menu and went to GUI login
> cntrl-alt-F1
> Text mode login

This sounds right.

> ? is it time to reinstall ?

What for?  Remember that all user settings are stored in ~/, which will
not be touched by a reinstall anyway.  If you think your gnome settings
are toast, just move them out of the way (mkdir ~/junk ; mv ~/.gnome*
~/junk).

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:       mindwar diwn New World Order NSA Echelon MILSATCOM BRLO