Re: fully removing a user?

on Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 09:49:39PM -0700, Monique Y. Herman (spam@bounceswoosh.org) wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 at 04:31 GMT, Karsten M. Self penned:
> >

> > It's the residual files which are th epirmary reason *not* to blindly
> > delete a user's /etc/passwd entry.  Given a disabled account, the user
> > *cannot* log into the system.  However the system administrator *can*
> > still identify files owned by that user, and move, change ownership,
> > or delete these as necessary.
> >

> Sure, but I don't want these users to exist forever ... if only to clean
> up my passwd file ....

My point, to repeat myself:

  - Your passwd file serves your system.  Your system doesn't serve your
    passwd file.  A handful of additional entries isn't going to hurt
    it.  A passwd file can handle tens of thousands of entries.

  - Wiping your passwd file entries *before* properly dealing with other
    artifacts of the account on your system can cause significant
    downstream headaches.

  - Take a cue from my friend who reunited with his girlfriend after
    wiping her from his GNU/Linux system.... ;-)

Peace.

    "Life," said Marvin, "don't talk to me about life."
    -- HHGTG