Re: Debian Testing - enabling cleartext passwords in uw-imap (next up - enable SSL)

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 23:12, BruceG wrote:
> Okay, have been having fun (well, sort of, kind of). I decided to
> upgrade from Stable to Testing and broke my pop and imap e-mail. So I
> figured what the heck - it's only been up a little while with just me
> using it, so do a new install. Installed Stable base (no tasksel, no
> deselect - just a bare-bones system). Upgraded to Testing - then added
> mail server support. Still no good!
>
> I finally figured out some of it. During the installation I sai yes to
> allowing clear text passwords. That worked for pop mail. It didn't work
> for imap.
>
> I googled, and found this info:
> create an /etc/c-client.cf
>
> Enter the following into it:
> I accept the risk
>
> set disable-plaintext nil
>
> And it worked. So POP and IMAP are working again. Next on the list is to
> figure out how to enable SSL and actually get it to work.

Can I convince you to dump UW and go with courier-imap?

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"You ask us the same question every day, and we give you the same
answer every day. Someday, we hope that you will believe us..."
U.S. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, to a reporter