Re: [no subject]

I just had the exact same problem yesterday while doing a fresh install.
Even though /dev/input/mice exists as a file, that doesn't necessarily
mean that the device is there. A good way to test is to do a "cat
/dev/input/mice" (no, that's not a pun :) and see if you get a device
not found or if you start getting garbage when you move the mouse. If
you get garbage, then the mouse is found properly.

In my case, I just had to install hotplug (apt-get install hotplug) and
then unplug the mouse and plug it back in. After that, everything worked
fine. Good luck.
--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837