Re: Bind setup on Woody

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 12:30:27AM -0800, Brian C wrote:

> 1. Configure BIND on a woody box so that it is the nameserver for a domain
> name I've registered.

Why not ask your ISP to host your DNS records?  If you run it yourself
you will need to find a secondary host as well.

> 2. I have the same woody box running Apache and I see the test page if I
> type my IP address in a web browser from a remote location, but of course,
> typing the domain name goes to the parking page. Am I right to think that
> doing #1 correctly above is what will associate my domain name with my IP
> address?

Yes.  That what DNS does.

> 3. I actually have several domain names and would sort of like to host all
> of them on this one box. I vaguely understand that i want to do "virtual
> hosting" but don't know how to implement that.

In what regard?  For the web server?  For mail?  For DNS?

For Apache it's very simple (http://httpd.apache.org -- look for the
page on virtual hosting and read about name-based hosting).

> 4. This woody box is behind a D-Link 614+ Router that includes a firewall.
> If I try to do virtual hosting, what if anything about its configuration
> should change?

Nothing.  You just need to open up the ports for the services you want
to provide.

> 5. I'd also like to have this same woody box handle mail for these domains
> (they get very little), perhaps qmail. This is a recently purchased box
> with new hardware, lots of memory and processing speed, etc. But am I
> starting to push my luck making it serve all these functions? Also, I don't
> know how to set up qmail.

No problem.  Google will be your friend for setting up the mail server.
I use exim and it's not hard at all.  Just need to spend a day or two
reading.

> 6. Even worse, I want it to run a MySQL database or two, so that one or two
> of the domains can run Movable Type blogs. And, you guessed it: I don't
> know how to set MySQL databases up either.
>
> Pointers to clear resources, explanations on the list, and prayers for
> enlightenment are all welcome. Thanks.

Goto a book store.  Search google.  Make some coffee.

Remember that you can just install those packages from Debian and the
debian maintainers have done most of the work setting them up.  It will
be minor tweaks.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org