Re: kaffe and/or sablevm in mozilla?

jjluza <jjluza@yahoo.fr> writes:

> like it is said in the doc, these packages (free implementation), make
> you to be able to compile and run java program.
> But they don't work to browse Internet and its java applets.
> You need a closed source one to do that (sun, ibm or blackdown one)

Wow, that's pretty impressive FUD.

There are two technical obstacles I can think of to using a free JVM
as a Mozilla plugin.  One is actually writing the plugin, which is
probably the easier part.  The second is an implementation of the Java
class libraries that actually supports things like the Java AWT ("GUI
stuff"); my impression is that the only Java standard library
implementation out there is GNU Classpath, and they're strictly
text-only.  (So you could, in theory, write a DFSG-JVM Mozilla plugin,
but it'd be useless without the non-free class libraries.)

	-- Abra Mitchell