Re: install over network with PCMCIA

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 08:16:08AM -0400, David Zelinsky wrote:
> I have a laptop with a floppy drive and PCMCIA ethernet, but no CD
> drive.

While you might have a different setup, several months ago I did a, I
think floppy, network install over a PCMCIA network card.  It took
several trys.

When configuring the PCMCIA card I had to set.

PCIC="i82365"
PCIC_OPTS="irq_mode=0"

Later in the install, when configuring the network I think, it asked
me if I was using a PCMCIA card, answering YES caused the install to
fail.  I did the install again and answering no worked well.

After the install, and after updating the kernel the PCMCIA card
stopped working again with missing symbols in the kernel.  I edited
the /etc/default/pcmcia to nat have any PCIC_OPTS and set
PCIC="yenta_socket" and it works well to this day.

This was months ago, so the memory is a bit fuzzy with a few points.
It took many tries to get the install to finally work.

  Sven