Re: Who is eating my IDE subsystem bandwidth?

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 07:38, Adam Galant wrote:
> > > logs don't show any particular activity, HDD is heavily loaded (led
> > > blinking, system hardly usable). I need to find out _which_ of the
> > > processes use HDD most heavily. How to do that?
> > >

> > Check swap (-> swapoff).
>
> Swap usage doesn't change - I don't think there is much activity about
> swap. There's a lot of free memory anyway.

What?  If you're in an over-committed state, the kernel will, figur-
atively, burn up the disk paging back and forth.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"As I like to joke, I may have invented it, but Microsoft made it
popular"
David Bradley, regarding Ctrl-Alt-Del