Re: Unidentified subject!

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 09:22:07PM -0800, Loren M Lang said
> While installing an updated fvwm2 from source, I decided to include gnome
> support using apt-get to install libgnome-dev and I got the following
> response:
>
> debian:/home/sttng359/fvwm/fvwm-2.4.17# apt-get install libgnome-dev
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>   gdk-imlib-dev libpng2-dev
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   libpng-dev libqt3-dev
>   gdk-imlib-dev libgnome-dev libpng2-dev
> 0 packages upgraded, 3 newly installed, 2 to remove and 22  not upgraded.
> 5 packages not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 0B/844kB of archives. After unpacking 3211kB will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
>
> I just installed libqt3-dev a little while ago so I could use the
> gui config for linux-2.6 and I had the reverse situation.  Why can't I
> have both installed at once, as far as I can tell, they should be
> independent of each other.  I've had to switch several times already for
> compiling different software packages.  If the main libraries can both be
> installed, why can't the dev support files also be?

Which version of Debian is this?  I'd hazard a guess that gdk-imlib-dev
Depends on libpng2-dev and libqt3-dev Depends on libpng-dev.  Perhaps
not directly, though.

> I can understand debian refusing to let me install both exim and
> sendmail, but this seems pointless.  This has been one of the biggest
> nussiances I've had since I switched from redhat.

I'm pretty sure it's because libpng2-dev and libpng-dev provide headers
in /usr/include/png/ or so, and thus have to conflict.  A "proper"
solution would involve having everyone use one set of headers, but I
don't know if this is possible.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:     Vince Foster Becker anarchy Panama Medco csim Echelon UFO