Re: GUI login screen.

Hoyt Bailey wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roberto Sanchez" <rcsanchez97@yahoo.es>
To: "debian-user" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 08:41
Subject: Re: GUI login screen.

I do not dissagree on any point.  However it should be my choice.  Should I
do something so stupid as download as root or read mail then I will be the
one to pick up what pieces are left. I am sure you have heard of welcha and
blaster, been there done that, they dont ask permission.  Maybe you dont
understand what I, and others,  want.  Idealy if the gui login screen added
3 items it would solve a lot of problems and would not incur any security
risks.
1. Reboot (If I want to go to Windows)
2. Shutdown (If I want to go to bed)
3. Text mode.(If I want to do something as root)

You can set Debian up to do this; Debian is just set up to not do this by default. You can always over-ride defaults, but Debian does not have the purpose of winning people over with trinkets; Debian is designed for stability, security, robustness, Freedom, ease of maintenance. What you're asking for is more of a feature found on single-user computers; Debian tends to be geared more toward multi-user computers.

In other words; "it is your choice". But it's not the default.

All you have to do is figure out how to over-ride the defaults. Since I usually don't use gdm or kdm, etc, I'm not familiar with where those things are set up. But looking in KDE real quick, I see there's a Control Panel, with a Login Manager control, that has a Sessions tab, that looks to be just what you're looking for. I suspect gdm and others have similar options.

Incidently Cntl-alt-del doesnt work from gnome. I expected it would.

I believe you'll find that it doesn't work anywhere in X, not just Gnome. Unless of course you've reconfigured your window manager/etc for it to work. I have no idea where that setting might be.

--
Kent