Re: setting hardware clock from NIST

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 09:04:58PM -0500, Haines Brown wrote:

> I'm a RedHat refugee, and sometimes I can just transfer things to
> debian, and sometimes not.
>
> I have an executable script, "time.rc" which has:
>
>   #! /bin/bash
>   rdate -s time-b.nist.gov
>   clock -w
>
> I installed rdate, and that seems to work fine to set the system clock
> (or at least the system clock jumped to 6 sec from what my local telco
> says the time is). However, the "clock" utility, which writes system
> time to the hardware clock is native to RedHat.

uhm... "apropos clock" on my box returns
  clock (3)            - Determine processor time
  clock (8)            - query and set the hardware clock (RTC)
  hwclock (8)          - query and set the hardware clock (RTC)
... among others. Doesn't look like it's a RedHat thing.

> ... Will this work; is
> there a better arrangement?

I don't know whether it's 'better', but I like chrony for keeping the
time. It may be a bit of overkill, but it sure does a good job.

	Cheers!
--