Unidentified subject!

Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 03:57:02PM +0000, Richard Kimber wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 14:35:20 +0000
> Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:
> > IRC channels are the best you're likely to do for running guidance. If
> > there's really serious hose-your-system breakage then somebody usually
> > posts to mailing lists about it; if it's just package conflicts and
> > things, then, well, you should pay attention to what the package manager
> > says it's going to remove and say no if it looks mad.
> > OK.  Thanks.
> This may be a stupid question, but has consideration been given to having > a 'holding area' between testing and stable to which stuff gets moved only
> when there are no breakages?

That's what testing is supposed to be. It would be too hard to try to
construct yet another stage, I believe.

So why does it NOT work that way. My only serious breakage under testing was the gnome2 problem a little while back. It made a mess of my system and I was unable to get back to a working gnome 1.4, or get a working gnome2. (I went back to using fvwm2, which I used before, and will stay with now.) I have seen other posts on this list of breakages in testing, as well. I generally avaoid them by checking what apt-get upgrade says that it wants to delete, but that should not be required very often. You (Colin) just recently posted that KDE3 has entered testing, but that it is broken. Why is it going in to testing if it is KNOWN to be broken. That seems to go against what you posted (above).

Marc Shapiro

Great deals on high-speed Internet access as low as $26.95. https://broadband.msn.com (Prices may vary by service area.)