Re: GUI login screen and non-root shutdown...

> Also, how can one get out of the whole x system under Debian? To get
> back into text mode? I also haven´t found a method of booting into text.

You can always switch to text-mode via <Ctrl><Alt><Fx>. Another solution is
to press <Alt>n during the kdm-login-screen (I don't know about gdm,
though).

If you want to always start into text-mode, just edit /etc/X11/
default-display-manager not to start your kdm/gdm/xdm.

If you want to start into text-mode only sometimes you could also make your
default-runlevel (in /etc/inittab) 5 (3 or 4 should also work) instead of
2 and rename the Sxx[kgx]dm in /etc/rc2.d/ to Kxx[kgx]dm. Then whenever
you want to boot into text-mode you can give "2" as kernel-parameter, so
that init activates runlevel 2.

HTH
  Johannes

--
"More than machinery we need humanity" -- Charlie Chaplin, The Great
Dictator