Re: Stable Debian == obsolete??

[Please wrap your lines!  It makes it much easier to read, and thus more
likely that you'll get a response.  Anywhere between 70 and 80 is
acceptable; 72 seems to be a nice value.]

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 03:04:48AM -0600, Chema said
> The installer script got broken after not finding the kernel modules:
> it suggested me to run the "Install modules" step or something like
> that, but there was not such option.  No problem, I finished the
> install manually running the other steps.

What did you actually do?  Did you use a set of boot floppies?  Is your
hardware supported by any of the install kernels?  Did you make the
driver disks as the install guide explains?

> When I got to the boot loader options, I was surprised to find only
> lilo.

You need a default bootloader during the install.  lilo works.  If you
don't like it, change it after the install.

?

> Well, ok, the release is from december past year, and the installer
> should be even older,

December?  July 19, 2002.

> so no "Grooby" loader.

Do you mean "grub"?  What benefits does grub have over lilo for the
initial boot of Debian?

> No problem, I skipped
> the loader install, got into my already installed grub shell and
> manually loaded the Debian install kernel.  After that, I installed
> grub, wich was included in the 30r1 disc.

Yup, easy.  Remember the Debian base install is very small and simple,
you then install whatever you want around it.

> xdm had crashed

It crashed?  Or was X just not configured properly during the install?
If it actually crashed, then you need to file a "serious" bug.

> , but hey, I have comed to *luuuuuv* configuring X at
> hand, overclocking my monitor resolution.

Configure X by hand?  Why?  The Debian X packages have a very
sophisticated configuration system which walks you through the
configuration.  With a little googling, you'll even find that installing
"hotplug", "mdetect" and "read-edid" before X will enable it to
auto-detect most everything for you anyway.

> But no configuration could
> make it run:
>
> -- This is a pre-release version of XFree86, and is not supported in
> any way.  ...  XFree86 Version 4.1.0.1 / X Window System (protocol
> Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6510) Release Date: 21 December
> 2001 --

That's not a useful piece of the log, we'd need to see the bottom bit
which explains why X didn't start.

> That will not run in most video cards I use.

Really?  Are you sure?  If so, then perhaps X 4.2 or 4.3 would work
better.  http://www.apt-get.org/.

> After fiddling around a lil more, I decided that something was wrong,
> maybee my Debian mirror was not really up to date; but not, it just
> seems to me that Woody is Way Too Oldy (TM).

Then don't use it?  Or install newer packages?  http://www.apt-get.org/
is all about newer packages for woody.

It seems to me like you've come at this all wrong.  Instead of ranting
about how "Debian Stable is too old!", you should install it, then ask
useful, direct questions like "how do I get my poorly documented
geforce4 card to work under woody" or "how do I get a newer version of
$FOO" or such.

> But, of course, I'm pushing the reset, and starting again.  But would
> like some guidance this time.
>
> The "Getting Debian" page mentions that:
>
> A network installation of the "testing" distribution will provide you
> with the very latest packages, whereas any CD images of "testing" that
> you download would be outdated very quickly.

If you want to help test the new Debian installer, then go for it.  It
certainly needs more testing to iron out the remaining bugs.

If you just want to use sarge, then install the woody *base system*,
then dist-upgrade to sarge.  If something doesn't upgrade cleanly, file
bugs.

> So the network installation of Sarge is my new bet.  But I want to
> know, how really unstable is it?  I don't think most people could live
> with Woody,

A sample of one is poor statistics ;-)

> I have lurked the release information, and have not seen any bug that
> scares me, but any warnings regarding the Athlon XP Thoroughbred,
> Geforce 4 Ti

Ah, this is at least part of your X problem, since the "nv" driver that
comes with X4.1 and earlier does not support it.  You can use the "vesa"
driver, go get X4.2 or 4.3 from the site  I have earlier, or use the
evil-binary-only-non-free nvidia driver.

> , emacs, PostgreSQL, perl and any other indispensable
> program would be preciated.

You can find information about current bugs in any package in the Debian
BTS:  http://bugs.debian.org/packagename

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:         AK-47 AGT. AMME Pine Gap Saddam Hussein ANZUS Europol