Re: linux-kernel-headers foul-up

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 10:12:07PM +0100, wsa wrote:
> Thanks for explaining this in the other thread aswell.
> What i wanted to ask, could this package be the cause of custom 2.4.22
> kernels not going past INIT (today's update fixed this problem) which
> i and a few other people experienced over the last weekend?

I doubt it.

> The original poster mentioned both mplayer and xawtv breakage, both i
> use because the server(mplayer self compiled)acts as a vcr aswell. Does
> this mean i should not recompile either one and leave them as is?

If it's working, leave it alone.

> And last question, if this new splitting stuff causes breakage who will
> solve this?

The split itself is a red herring. What breakage exists is due to source
that tries to include kernel headers from /usr/include/linux and/or
/usr/include/asm in userspace (always a risky proposition), and now gets
confused because those headers are newer than the ones it expected.

> is this a debian issue, a linux issue or should the sources
> of for example mplayer be changed?

Ultimately the source will have to be fixed as more and more
distributions start using newer kernel headers. I believe the Debian
glibc maintainers are patching around problems in this area for sarge.

Cheers,