Re: Stable Debian == obsolete??

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 01:33:13 +0000
Pigeon <jah.pigeon@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
P> ...speaking of such things - if the remote machine gets a different
P> IP, through DHCP, every time it boots, is there a more elegant way I
P> can discover this IP than having the remote machine email me when it
P> boots?

Well, usually you don't use IPs to identify machines, but DNS (which was created only for our human "numeric" laziness).  I only started using DHCP when I was able to do automatic DNS record uptades, and I must say that is one of the most "Platonic" achievements in LAN administration =)

So you just need a DNS server willing to accept updates from DHCP (see the DHCP docs).  If your remote machine is not so (if it's in your LAN), then a local DNS would do the trick.  But if it is over the I-net, you need a proper I-net DNS server.  Of course there are kind souls that provide this service:

FreeDNS - http://freedns.afraid.org/ - DNS Hosting, free subdomains in shared (3K+!!) domains, dynamic IP address.

http://dyndns.org - DNS Hosting, free subdomains (in 25 domains),dynamic IP.

Most free subdomains are in lame domains, but in FreeDNS you can find cutties like "kernel.sh" (root, of course, is aready taken ;-).