Re: Disable a Flat Screen

On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 03:04:36PM +0100, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
> On Sunday 02 November 2003 01:59, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> > Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I'm wondering if there is a  method to disable a built in flat screen (on
> > > a laptop). I'm thinking of something like dpms. Win32 know a method (i
> > > don't kniw how) but when my laptop stands around doing nothing the screen
> > > never shuts down in linux mode. Is there a method/tool/XFree86 extension
> > > to do so? "xset dpms force suspend|off" does nothing on my laptop here.
> > >
> > You may also want to try posting this question to debian-laptop.
> > What brand/model laptop do you have?
> >
> > I have a Toshiba Satellite 2805, and the screen automagically blanks
> > after 10 minutes.  I don't ever recall setting a specific option for
> > this.  It has worked under Xree86 4.1 (in Woody) and 4.2 (in Sid).

I'm not sure if this is the situation you're talking about, but I have
an ancient Hitachi P-133 laptop I've been meaning to set up as a
firewall, and I've found that under 2.2.x kernels, the screen goes blank
after ten minutes but the backlight stays on indefinitely. Under 2.4 it
turns off the backlight when it blanks.

	Cheers!
--