Re: tasksel on testing - unmet dependencies for Desktop

On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 04:11, Uwe Dippel wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 22:50:43 +0800, Rob Weir wrote:
>
> > This is when you should head off to http://bugs.debian.org/ and see if
> > the bug is already reported.  If not, file it yourself.
>
> Thanks. I did. The answer came a day later:
>
> > The absence of a package from testing is not a bug.
>
> I'm a newbie in Debian (sorry) and I understood the FAQ w.r.t. Testing somewhat
> different. If you cannot install e.g. Evolution, this is not a bug ?
> Maybe someone can enlighten me .. Thanks.

Evolution 1.4.5, in both testing and unstable, is is built against
Gnome 2.4.1.  As far as I can tell, testing is still at Gnome 2.2.2.
Thus, you are right, you can not install Evo if you want to stay
purely at testing.  I'm sure this will be changing soon.

$ apt-cache policy evolution
evolution:
  Installed: 1.4.5-3
  Candidate: 1.4.5-3
  Version Table:
 *** 1.4.5-3 0
        500 ftp://mirrors.kernel.org unstable/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     1.0.5-1 0
        500 ftp://mirrors.kernel.org testing/main Packages
me@haggis:~$ apt-cache policy gnome
gnome:
  Installed: 36
  Candidate: 36
  Version Table:
 *** 36 0
        500 ftp://mirrors.kernel.org unstable/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

$ apt-cache policy gnome-terminal
gnome-terminal:
  Installed: 2.4.1-3
  Candidate: 2.4.1-3
  Version Table:
 *** 2.4.1-3 0
        500 ftp://mirrors.kernel.org unstable/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2.2.2-4 0
        500 ftp://mirrors.kernel.org testing/main Packages

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Fair is where you take your cows to be judged."
Unknown