Re: Network unreachable

On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 22:21, Jeffrey Barish wrote:
> When I use the kernel that I built from the source for 2.4.18-686, I get
> the message:
>
> sendto: Network is unreachable
>
> when I try to ping another machine on my network.  Using ifconfig, I
> noticed that eth0 had no IP address assigned.  So I did
>
> ifconfig eth0 down
>
> and then
>
> ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.8 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
>
> At that point, ping worked.  So it seems as if dhcp is not working.  Is
> there something in the kernel configuration that is required to make
> dhcp work?
>
> I am still not able to browse the web.  I get the message "Could not
> connect to host ..." no matter what URL I use.

If you can ping yourself, then I think that means that the kernel
understands networking.  Sounds like a userland problem.  If you
boot using a different kernel, does it work ok?

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

Note to LSU and Valdosta State students: India is not an Arab
country!
http://www.talonnews.com/news/2003/october/1009_college_dems_jind
al.shtml