Re: [ot] Linux gender in French

On November 01, 2003 20:28, Tom wrote:

> I don't have a high degree of confidence in this statement,
> but I would guess things that "cause" action "seem" masculine, and
> words that "receive" action "seem" feminine.  You know, the whole
> Freudian nine yards.  Things that jut out vs. things that recede,
> angular vs. spherical, &c. :-)

Interesting theory... but I think not. 'Épée' (sword) for example is
feminine, as is 'plume' (quill [feather/pen]), both of which have your
masculin Freudian connotations.

--
David P James
Ottawa, Ontario

There is no art which one government sooner learns of another
than that of draining money from the pockets of the people.
-Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations