Re: [ot] Linux gender in French

Le Samedi 1 Novembre 2003 17:48, Wesley J Landaker a déclamé :
> "Le Linux" is typically used as masculine, but I've seen it, less
> often, used as feminine, "la Linux". I'm not aware that it is
> "officially" anything, but to me as a French-speaker, it "feels" more
> like a masculine noun.

 (I'm French) I've never heard "La Linux". It is masculine as are
'ordinateur' (computer) and 'système d'exploitation' (OS).
 If someone says "la Linux", I would think for example of a car
('voiture', feminine) whose brand is Linux, or the soap for
washing-machine ("la lessive") called Linux (I've heard there is one).

--
Christophe Courtois - Ostwald, Alsace, France
http://www.courtois.cc/ - Clé PGP : 0F33E837