Networking Linux through a Win98 gateway

Hello list,
I was wondering, because I've never been able to do this, if or how you can have a Linux computer access the Internet via a Win98 gateway PC. The gateway runs 602LanSuite for its routing/firewall services. Note that there are numerous WinXP machines behind the Win98 machine that access the net through it.
I've installed Linux (numerous distributions) on a box behind the gateway and network it successfully. Ping works, al the services work on hte local network as expected. I bring up the eth0 interface, do a route command:
route add -net gw
which adds an entry to the route tables but doesn't help my cause. I've noticed the "metric" value is set to 1 when I do this. Should this be different?