Re: Can't install networking.

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 at 22:40 GMT, Mark Healey penned:

>>Run "uname -a". If your CD is a woody ("stable") CD, and it probably
>>is, you're probably running a 2.2 kernel. If so, run "apt-cache search
>>kernel-image-2.4 | more" to see if you have any 2.4 kernels available
>>on your CD. If you do, pick the appropriate one (like
>>"kernel-image-2.4.18-586" for a fairly recent kernel for a
>>Pentium-class computer, or "kernel-image-2.4.22-1-k7" for an even
>>newer kernel for an AMD-K7-based computer) and install it, with a
>>command like "apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-586". After the
>>requisite reboot, run "uname -a" again to make sure you're running
>>your new kernel, and then try to add the appropriate Broadcom module.
>
> Ok, this is getting frustrating.
>
> Is it possible to get debian running without learning a bunch of
> arcane hacker lore?
>
> Someone told me that booting and running the install of cd5 would
> work. It didn't
>
> All I want to do is get it installed on the hardware listed in my sig
> with working networking and X.
>
> I was able to do it with Redhat in less than an hour.
>
> If it isn't possible for a non-hacker to do it just tell me.

I understand that you're getting frustrated with the install process,
but really, the install is something you'll do once for this system.  If
the installation process is such a turn-off for you and you're not
interested in learning anything about how the system works, then maybe
you *should* be using RedHat.  Debian gives you more freedom and
control, but of course freedom entails the responsibility of learning
which choices are appropriate for you.

Perhaps you mentioned this earlier, but why are you interested in trying
Debian specifically?

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me.  Please.  Pretty please with sugar on top.