Re: Microsoft good press over Longhorn

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 at 10:15 GMT, <kmark+debian@pipeline.com> penned:

> On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>
>> I'm being forced to use Excel and Powerpoint at work.  I hate it.
>> It's not just MS-specific, in this case:  I hate data entry, and I
>> hate prettifying it.
>
> Knoppix is your friend! Pop in the cd and edit any excel files!
> Although I think your out of luck with power-less-point. There are
> tools to make presentations and ones to create html or ps presentions,
> if those would be allowed.  -Kev

If I wanted to use OpenOffice, I could simply install that app on my
windows system ...  Anyway, there are more apps than just those two that
I need to be running concurrently.  Many of them have no
opensource/linux reader.

I've found that OpenOffice's presentation tool doesn't always do exactly
what I expect when exporting to Powerpoint.  Other OO.org stuff can also
be slightly off, but PowerPoint is where it really shows up.

In a company where opensource products are referred to as "freeware" and
where many of the tools I *have* to use have no Linux-based alternative,
I'm best off using MS crap.  My boss would not be impressed if I told
him that something looks slightly different because I'm using a "better"
tool than the one the company has already paid for.
--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me.  Please.  Pretty please with sugar on top.