Re: printing with lpd to remote printer

hi ya rudy

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Mark Roach wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 11:01, Rudy Gevaert wrote:
> [...]
> > When I send a postscript file to the printer it gets nicely printed.
> > When I send a txt file to it, the lines don't get linewrapped.
> [...]

when printing to the remote printer, it does all the filtering
not the  "lp" local print server

all your filtering is done on :rp: ( remoteprinter )
and :rm: which i assume you need to change its name to the real ip#
and hostnames

only options needed for  this print server to talk to the
"real printer server that has the printerconnected to it"

workstation# cat /etc/printcap
	#
	# Minimum entries needed for workstation to be able
	# to print to the printer connected to "LP_ServerIP"
	#
	lp|Epson800:\
          :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
          :rm=LP_ServerIP:

LP_ServerIP#  cat /etc/printcap
	#
	# it would have all the local filtering
	#
	lp|Epson800:\
	        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
	        :sd=/var/spool/lpd:\
	        :pw:132:\
	        :fq:\
	        :sh:mx#0:\
	        :if=/usr/local/sbin/printers/stc800:\
	        :lf=/var/spool/lpd/lp-log:

	# change :if:, the printer filter for your printer

restart lpd ...

c ya
alvin