courier-imap setup - can't authenticate and maildir Q

I installed the courier imap server (including ssl) on my home gateway
to handle incoming mail.
The problem is that when I try to connect to it I keep getting a reply
that I can't authenticate with the server.
When first configuring the account to connect using ssl I get a message
that there is a problem with the certificate but again authentication
fails afterwords.
Also the setup file says that courier only handles maildirs. I currently
have exim installed for smtp. I uncommented the option for maildirs in
the config file and converted the mbox into a maildir with the same name
in the same location. Is that the right thing to do?

Thanx

--
Micha Feigin
michf@math.tau.ac.il