Re: Microsoft good press over Longhorn

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 11:18:56 -0600
Ray <ray.list@powerweb.net> wrote:

> On Thursday 30 October 2003 10:41, Tom wrote:
> > Has anybody else been surprised by the amount of good press MS is
> > getting this week over longhorn?  I think people are looking at the
> > Mac OS9 -> OSX total rewrite and projecting wishes for MS to do
> > something as drastic.
> >
> > It's like watching somebody involved in a bad marriage: I'll just
> > stick by him/her, they're bound to change.  It's worth it, if only
> > for the kids.
> >
> > It's always interesting to watch 'em finally wake up.
>
> the way i was looking at it is longhorn must be horrible if the
> marketing has to get this much of a running start on reviews before
> the actual scheduled release(was it 2006?).  if you heard there was a
> movie/game/tech that had marketing running for 3 years before
> release, wouldn't that be a sign of major suckage to you too?

A problem for them at the moment apparently, is the fact that a lot of
what they classify as 'unearned revenue', that is, projected revenue
from renewal of licencing, has been drastically reduced. This could well
lead to more activity on the marketing front in an effort to rejuvenate
income. A further expense that the earnings from Longhorn will have to
justify. Good!
Regards,

David.