Re: Simple little basic config questions

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 at 20:43 GMT, Pigeon penned:

> --PLVMksexArUZ/iL3 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
>
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 11:03:23AM -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>> On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 at 15:52 GMT, Kent West penned:
>> > I echo Colin's thought. Forget about "su" and use "sudo". It takes
>> > an extra 5 keystrokes per command, but it "just works", and in my
>> > opinion is better than forgetting you're root and doing something
>> > you don't want to do.
>> >=20 apt-get install sudo visudo, add yourself a line similar to
>> >what's already there sudo command_to_be_run_as_root =20
>>=20 People keep talking about sudo like it's the cat's meow, and maybe
>>for a single-user system it is.  But sudo documentation very
>>explicitly warns that, if you're not careful about what you allow, you
>>could accidentally allow access to far more than you expected.
>
>=2E..it seems like a good idea on a single-user machine to allow sudo
>dpkg -i... sudo dpkg -i make_bash_setuid_root.deb

I'm a bit confused ... you snipped out the part where I said that it's
probably fine for a single-user machine, then added your own comment to
that effect, and instructions for installing it ...

For the record, I have it installed.  But I still think that espousing
sudo as a panacea, without encouraging people to read the documentation
and understand the potential pitfalls, is not the right thing to do.

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me.  Please.  Pretty please with sugar on top.