Re: Configure PnP Card before Kernel loads modules

Hello

Andreas Bohnert (<abo@online.de>) wrote:

> I have an old but still pretty good ISA PnP Soundcard (EWS64XL) . Now
> I have to initialize the card at boot time BEFORE the kernel loads the
> moduls, otherwise the (sound-)modul will mess up my configuration.
> Which boot script allows me to do some action before the kernel starts
> to load the modules??
>
> In detail:
> if have a script (|/etc/init.d/isapnp|) which looks like that:
>
> #! /bin/sh
> # /etc/init.d/isapnp: configure Plug and Play boards
> test -x /sbin/isapnp || exit 0
> /sbin/isapnp /etc/isapnp.conf
> exit 0
>
> and a startup script which looks like that:
>
> # Configure the isa plug and play boards before loading
> # modules. Need to do this before loading modules to get
> # a chance of configuring and starting PnP boards before
> # the drivers mess all this up.
> #
> if [ -x /etc/init.d/isapnp ]
> then
>   /etc/init.d/isapnp start

Modules from /etc/modules are loaded by /etc/init.d/modutils which is
symlinked to /etc/rcS.d/S20modutils. If you want to have your script
run before that, symlink it to /etc/rcS.d/S??modutils where ?? is less
than 20.

If instead you used update-modules to add a line

alias sound-slot-0 modulename

to /etc/modules.conf, the driver will be loaded when needed.

By the way, are using kernel 2.2 or 2.4? 2.4 has improved isa pnp
support, /maybe/ you won't need to run isapnptools.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen