Re: Too Slow - what'd I break?

Daniel L. Miller wrote:
Howdy all.

This is using the latest unstable kernel-image-2.4-686 package, as well as the lowlatency and preempt patches.

Have you enabled DMA on your disk?

Use hdparm (install via apt-get if you don't have it) and try
something like:

hdparm -c1 -m16 -d1 -u1 /dev/hda

However, carefully read the documentation.  I believe that in most
cases DMA is disabled by default becuase some drive/chipset combos
are buggy, which can cause severe corruption of data if DMA is
enabled.

-Roberto