Re: What did I screw up?

Marc Shapiro wrote:
I messed up some configuration, somewhere, and I hope that someone can tell me what it was.

I have a 2 computer network. An older Pentium which I use as a gateway to the net, since it has a hardware modem in it, and my new Athlon which is what I actually use (which has a winmodem and no slots for legacy HW such as my olddem). The two are on an ethernet network.

I have a menu option which telnets from the Athlon to the Pentium and dials in from there. I can then access the net from the Athlon. At least I could until this afternoon.

Why not just setup diald on the gateway machine?  Then, whenever you try
to access the net from the Athlon, it automagically dials up and then
disconnects after a specified period of time.

I am runnin Sarge, BTW, but just updated jpilot and jpilot-syncmal on the Athlon from unstable. Nothing else was updated, and only libmal0 and libpisock were additionally installed, so that sould not affect anything else. No changes were made on the Pentium.

I also uninstalled a few unneeded packages from the Athlon: tix8.1, nethack, nethack-x11, nethack-common, mozilla-firebird, lincity, lftp, isdnutils, isdnutils-xtools, isdnutils-base, isdnvnoxclient, isdnvboxserver, isdnlog, isdnlog-data, and ipppd. Again, nothing that should affect my ability to et to the net.

I can see how most of those would be unnecessary, and I can definitely
see how they should _not_ affect your dialup.  But, I believe that
nethack is *required* and that you can officially be considered a *nix
"poser" for uninstalling it, especially the console version :-)

Now, however, if I dial in and then try to access anything on the net from the Athlon, I get DNS resolution errors. I can not access ANYTHING! If I telnet to the Pentium, then I can get out without any apparent problems. What config file(s) have I messed up? I'm sure that this is simple to fix, once I determine what I accidentally messed up.

Do you run DNS on your gateway machine?  What is in /etc/resolv.conf?
Do you run DHCP on your gateway? If so, do you have it configured to
push the DNS IPs to the client?  Have you changed the routing table
on either machine?

Any help appreciated.

--
Marc Shapiro