Re: Debian Newbie Question on Network Config

Alberto Tobias wrote:

/etc/network/interfaces

or, alternatively you can install etherconf.

'apt-get install etherconf'

this will lead you through a prompted setup.

Matt

Thanks for the tip!

However, it does noet appear to solve my issue. After reboot I still need to
manually bring up the eth0 interface and configure it.

An "ifconfig -a" only shows the loopback interface. After I do a "modprobe
tulip" the eth0 interface appears as well and I only neede to assign it its
IP address and gateway and everything works again. What can I do to make
this automatic at boot time? Where can I find the error messages (if any)
the system geenrates while booting when it fails to bring up the interface?
I cannot see anything in /var/log/dmesg

Thanks in advance,
Alberto

Add the module "tulip" to /etc/modules, like this:

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
# a #, and everything on the line after them are ignored.
tulip
via82cxxx_audio
visor

and edit /etc/network/interfaces, something like this:

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
# automatically added when upgrading
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation
# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
# automatically added when upgrading
auto eth0
#iface eth0 inet static
#       address 192.168.123.2